To Make a House a Home

We are majorly house hunting. And let me tell you, there are tons of homes with tons of potential that we have really liked. But today, we went and saw a few houses that we really liked. 

This story will have a point!

The first house we saw had been vacant for a while and was really beautiful. The floor plan was very open with quite a few windows and a sunlight in the kitchen that lighted almost the whole house! But there was no furniture to picture it as ours and the walls were painted Easter colors so it felt a little weird though we did like it as a contender. The price was the best in the market for us and was very realistic to our needs. 

The last house we saw we got warned about before we walked in the door. Our realtor said, "Please keep in mind that this house is super cute but we need to look past the cuteness". I laughed and agreed but let me tell you it was really hard to do! The family that lived there deserves to occupy 16 pages in my Real Simple magazine because of the awesome, trendy decor and the way they have revamped so much of this gorgeous home! It was still in our price frame but is also going to get snatched off the market before we are probably ready to make an offer. There were some other things, the ceiling tiles and possible lead painting underneath the gorgeous decor, that would not pass an inspection as well. 

So, our realtor took us outside and she said, "Imagine the first house with this look, with your touch. You can make it into this easily with only one or two changes, most having to do with painting." 

We went back to the first house and as I walked up the porch stairs, I started to see something different from what I saw before.  I saw the porch of my dreams that could be achieved with some gravel stain and painted window shutters. And, when I stepped inside, I saw my dream fireplace by simply tearing off the ugly brass facing on the current one and exposing the brick! I saw my dream kitchen by covering the current counters with a different color matting.   I saw walls painted mine and Billy's favorite earthy tones. I saw a home that I could easily create within a year of minor changes.  

We left happy and ready to make an offer of this home that, at first glance, we like but, when looking at it the way it can look next year or the next, we will one day love. 

I can see myself in this house.  There was a time that I took a serious look inside myself and saw something that was plain and in need of some repair. I knew then that it would be rough to make myself into what I wanted. I made friend with these Christian people who lavished love on me and I caught a good glimpse into them and thought, "Why can't I just move into that house right now!" 

But there is a greater reward in allowing the Lord to make me into the house He intended. It is so easy to want to jump right in and unpack my bags into the perfect life of perfect Faith but then, there would be no faith. It is my process of sanctification that has brought me to where I am. It is the power of Jesus buying me with His blood and renovating my interior that has made me beautiful. And, if we get this house, you can bet it will be beautifully ours! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"

The Outside of The Cup