Temptations and My Need for God

Just a thought…

Mark 14:38
“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing but the body is weak.”

Woah! That is the truth and I have just sat here and thought about how true it is!

I asked myself a few questions after reading that and here is what I have realized:

-What am I watching for?
I am watching for sin and all things that could either destroy me/my walk or lead me astray from my Father’s will.

-What am I praying for and why should I pray?
I am praying for God’s guidance and strength. There are going to be situations in my life where I am tempted to do something, say something, think something, etc. In those moments, I will need help and God offers it so I pray about it, involving Him in my scaring moments and tough times.

Also, in 1 Corinthians 10:13, it says,

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”

It says right there that, though you may be tempted, it is nothing God can’t handle but merely junk that is common to man! God can take it even when I can’t. I pray so that He can help me through the temptation. I pray because He knows what steps I should make and when I am in constant communication with Him, I can see the paths He shows me so that I can stand up under my temptation.

Another thing that I just realized is what happens in my life someday (many days). Look at the end of Mark 14:38.

“…The spirit is willing but the body is weak.”

My spirit, trying as hard as it can to listen to God and to walk in His ways, saved by God’s grace and loving Him always, is willing to do whatever it takes to follow Him. My body, my very human body, is weak though. Often it leads the astray. Often my body distracts me from making the right decision though I feel the conviction in my spirit.

What I have just realized is that I do spend and will continue to spend a large part of my days praying against the weakness of my body.

I will and do pray for the very feeling and hormones and emotions of my human body to align with those of my spirit, to align with those of my God. The reason: my body will desire things that, I know in my spirit, will only end in my destruction and heartbreak. I need God’s help and guidance and company to keep my eyes set on heaven when my body is tempted or distracted on Earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"

The Outside of The Cup