perseverance through the trials

My husband and I are in a particularly difficult, though rewarding, season of life. We wake up each day hopeful for the best and thankful to not be going through this crazy world alone. In the past, there may have been one really rough trial to get through (granted we are young and our past is still the first four niches of an Olympic pool) at a time. But, today, as I sit here thankful for all I have around me in our cozy slightly sketchy apartment complex, I see clearly that we are trekking through at least three major trials.

There is no need to go into detail about these trials and some you may guess from the simple fact that we are now in our second years of marriage and making major life/financial decisions and living slightly outside of our comfort zone some days. I don't need to go into detail because the lessons to be learned here are universal to many kinds of trials!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." (James 1:2, 12 NIV)


Though they may not all pertain to my husband being a pastor or our life in ministry, every trial takes a toll on our spiritual well being. In the midst of it all, I find myself blaming/questioning/doubting/trusting/praising God for or about the trial I am going through. In his letter to the twelve tribes, James says, "Don't give way to that doubt! You will be torn apart by the winds within the storm you travel! Trust and persevere and you will see your reward, here or in heaven!" (Paraphrase mine)

There is a reason I turn to God, both negatively and positively in these moments: He is the Creator of all things so he must also be the Creator of my trials. But James addresses that, too.

"When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. "(James 1:13, 14, 16, 17 NIV)

The bottom line, that it takes me years to get to (apologies), is that these trials will serve a purpose. "Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:4 NIV) God has been working on me since the day He formed me and He won't be done until I am in heaven praising Him for eternity.

My attitude recently has been frustration with all those around me who seem to be causing the trials. Today, I am standing up firmly knowing that these very moments are ones that God is using to shape into what He needs me to be, not just who I am supposed to be.

I am thankful for a husband who leads me in humility through all of the crazy things that seem to swirl around us and for a Savior, so present and loving, that shows me why things are the way they are when I most desperately need it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"

The Outside of The Cup