The Outside of The Cup

I wear jeans to church. I wear dressess and khakis to church. I wear my scrubs to church. You would think that after a certain amount of time people would stop caring so much about the way people prepare their outsides for a church service and... well not care at all instead. I was going to say that maybe they should care about how people prepare their inside but I can tell you one thing...it isn't any of anyone's business. (Maybe I am a little fired up...can you tell?) Jesus rebuked the pharisees for only cleaning the outside of the cup and ignoring the inside and we have not learned our lesson. If I spend more time preparing my makeup and outfit for the day, church day or work day or school day or whatever, than I do spending time learning what the Lord has for me that day or in prayer with Him, then I have not got my priorities straight. I am not coming up with an excuse to be lazy. I am not condemning anyone for looking nice on Sunday morning, I try as often as I can to be more than just presentable when I arrive at church but sometimes I read my bible or review bible study lessons instead. Sometime I have slept in or my dog has chewed through two rolls of toilet paper. God knows that. What I wear does not define my surrender to Jesus: who I am inside does. Hopefully I reflect that on the outside in more than just the ways that I dress. I go to church to spend time with my church family, to learn about the Word of God, to praise Him with all that I am, not to show off my skills as outward adornment. I pick a dressed down church full of the Holy Spirit than a classy appearing church full of Conditional grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"