Only Four Blocks

I just went on a walk. I have been trying to go on frequent walks to get some exercise and relaxation together. It has been great, especially with this weather. 

But, as I was walking today, something occurred to me. I currently live about one street away from a rough part of town. However, my location is safe and practically on Western's campus. I never forget that right next door the neighborhoods gets pretty rough. During the day, kids are playing outside and people are walking home with their groceries but, at night, things get weird and no one goes on a walk, that is for sure. 

So, when I go on a walk, I walk towards downtown to the pretty scenery and beautiful homes. I walk across town, essentially, for four city blocks and then I am among historic homes and pristine streets. 

What struck me today was that it only took four blocks. There are only four blocks between low and high socioeconomic status.  There are only four blocks between the people who need help/hope and the people who could share it. I mean, it took ten minute walking and probably less than one minute in my car to go from rags to riches. We are just so much closer than we think. 

I tell patients who are embarrassed to have me assist them to the restroom or give them a bath that it could just as easily be me needing their help. The same principle applies to the four blocks I walk. There is such a fine line between heathy and unhealthy, be it socially, economically, or physically. 

Just something to keep in mind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"

The Outside of The Cup