What I love about what I am doing

A couple of nights ago at work, I had a few moments where I realized that patient care is where I need to be and that God is going to use this career of mine for His Glory. 

The story is the same nearly every time but uniquely different all at once. I walk into a room and there is a patient and that patient is hurting. In some way, shape or form, this person needs help. Whether it is vomiting without ceasing or curling up in pain, they need healing. And sometimes it is a stress response, like a seizure brought on by the traumas of life running around then. I do my tasks and chit chat and then I leave because, at this point, I am just a tech who assists the nurses. I do not have any profound right to be a part of that patients care. 

So when I go in to clean up vomit and that patient starts to tell me about their situation, my heart leaps and I want to know. I cannot describe how much I truly want to listen to their problems (and I hope that never changes). I don't reassure them of anything I can't promise but I will say something simple and leading like, "Well, I'll say a prayer for you".  I wait to see how ER respond because I want them to want that. And when they do, I do it. I mean, when they respond to my prayer comment with excitement and need, it happens right there. I lay a hand on them and they just close their eyes so tight and squeeze my hands. 

It is so special. I have no words to describe what it is like. I have never been the biggest out loud prayer but, when I take one of their hands (be it a patient, a wife, a friend) there is so much Hope. I pray for healing, be it God's will but I always pray for a deeper understanding of Jesus. Illness is such a beautiful time to put yourselves on your knees and try to understand God better. Illness puts us in a place where we recognize our needs. 

I am so excited to hold so many hands. God knows what He is doing. 

Comments

  1. Ahhh Hannah that's so beautiful! I'm so glad that God gives you those moments to see His work in and through you and to remind you why you are studying nursing in the first place. You are right where He wants you! You'll probably never know the impact that you are making on those patients lives until you get to heaven and watch the "behind the scenes" videos from all those long shifts and genuine prayers. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks abbey! I believe you are right about that and He is gonna use you, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I belong? Here.

The "want to" and the "can do"

The Outside of The Cup